Dental Veneers: Are They Right for You?
Have you ever wondered if dental veneers could be the right choice for you?
Learn all about dental veneers with our easy-to-understand guide to help you decide if this popular cosmetic dentistry option is right for you!
Understanding Dental Veneers:
Whether crafted from composite or porcelain, dental veneers act as a thin layer placed over teeth surfaces to conceal various cosmetic imperfections.
While composite veneers offer a reversible option, porcelain veneers provide:
- A permanent solution.
- Offering benefits such as a natural look and feel.
- The concealment of chips or gaps.
- A hassle-free maintenance routine.
Are Dental Veneers the Right Choice for You?
- Patients with severely decayed teeth or extensive fillings may not qualify for dental veneers.
- Individuals prone to teeth clenching or grinding face the risk of cracking or chipping the delicate veneer shell covers.
- During the dental veneer application process, a protective layer of enamel may be removed from the teeth, which could result in increased sensitivity.
- It’s crucial to understand that the dental veneer process is irreversible, as a layer of enamel is permanently altered.
Longevity and Cost
- Dental veneers, with proper care, can last up to a decade. However, they are among the more expensive cosmetic treatments. Due to cost considerations, some patients opt for veneers only on their most visible front teeth.
Considering the longevity, cost, and irreversible nature of dental veneers, it’s advisable to consult a cosmetic dentist to explore all available options and determine the most suitable course of action for your needs.
Indications for Dental Veneers:
A dentist may suggest veneers to address specific dental concerns, including:
- Chipped teeth
- Broken teeth
- Teeth with severe discolouration that cannot be remedied through cosmetic whitening
- Teeth that appear too small
- Teeth with pointed or irregular shapes
It’s important to note that dental veneers are not a one-size-fits-all solution for any dental issue.
They are used intentionally and ought to be incorporated into a thorough care plan customised for each patient.
Your Campbelltown dentist will assess your situation to determine if dental veneers are appropriate, ensuring a thoughtful and strategic approach to their application.
The Dental Veneer Procedure:
Dental veneers involve a two-step process, beginning with an initial examination to assess suitability and discuss expectations.
The dentist reshapes the tooth’s surface, creates an impression for the dental lab, and fits a temporary veneer.
Subsequent visits focus on adjustments, ensuring a perfect fit and natural colour match.
The final application involves using dental bonding cement and a curing process with a special light beam to secure the veneer in place.
Caring for Your Dental Veneers:
While dental veneers are resistant to decay, prioritising their care is essential to ensure the continued health of the underlying teeth and a prolonged, vibrant appearance.
Follow these guidelines for optimal maintenance:
- Daily Care Routine: Clean your teeth two times a day with non-abrasive toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Pay meticulous attention to the gum lines to ensure thorough cleaning.
- Flossing Technique: Floss around each tooth, keeping the string taut against the tooth surface. Gently rub up and down the side of the veneer, extending slightly below the gum tissues.
- Regular Checkups: Schedule routine dental checkups for professional cleaning to remove any accumulated build-up or stains since your last scale and clean. This proactive approach helps maintain the vibrancy of your dental veneers.
- Stain Prevention: Minimise stain exposure by avoiding dark liquids such as tea or coffee. Rinse your mouth with water after consuming it, and consider using a straw to reduce direct contact with your dental veneers.
- Night Guard Use: Wear a night guard while sleeping to prevent unwanted wear or chipping caused by grinding or clenching. This protective measure preserves the integrity of your dental veneers over time.
- Routine Polishing and Evaluation: Schedule regular scale and clean appointments to have your dental veneers professionally polished and evaluated. This proactive measure ensures their continued brilliance and identifies potential issues early on.
By incorporating these practices into your oral care routine and maintaining regular dental appointments, you can safeguard the longevity and radiant appearance of your dental veneers while promoting the overall health of your teeth.
Dental Veneers in Campbelltown
Talk to your dentist during your consultation to find out if dental veneers are right for you. If you want more info, book a consultation with us today.
At Marketfair Dental Care, we want to help you have a healthy mouth and a smile that makes you feel great every day.
Visit your Campbelltown dentist today!
We are located at Marketfair Campbelltown Shop 21B, 4 Tindall St in Campbelltown.